Have you ever heard of a Himalayan salt lamp?
Many people haven’t but they have recently seen a surge in popularity. They are inexpensive and have many healthful benefits.
They purify the air and help reduce allergy symptoms.
It sounds illogical that a rock of salt with a lightbulb inside it could purify the air in your home. However, it actually can. The Himalayan rock salt attracts water molecules. The water molecules carry with them dust and allergens. The pollutants remain trapped inside the salt while the heat causes the then purified water to evaporate back into the air.
They remove positive ions from the air.
Positive ions are molecules which lack an electron and therefore have a positive charge. They seek to find an electron to balance their charge. Electronic devices in the home disturb the electromagnetic properties of the matter around them. This disturbance causes electrons to fly off molecules and create more positive ions.
Positive ions are unhealthy for a number of reasons. They cause the microscopic hairs that clear debris from the respiratory system, or cilia, to become less effective. They also lead to general physical and mental fatigue. Himalayan salt lamps expel negative ions which neutralize the positive ions. This helps promote respiratory heath and vitality.
They provide protection from electromagnetic radiation.
In our everyday lives, we are constantly exposed to small levels of electromagnetic radiation. We expose ourselves to this radiation with every moment we spend in the proximity of an electronic. The long-term effects of this exposure are unknown. Therefore, it may be best to err on the side of caution.
The negative ions expelled by Himalayan salt lamps work to neutralize this electromagnetic radiation. Keeping one near your TV, computer, or gaming console can help with this.
All of these benefits come together to promote better mood and concentration during the day and better sleep at night.
Leave the lamp on all day, only shutting it when you go to sleep for the best effect. Be sure to protect the lamp from moisture. After all, it is made of salt. Treat it as a delicate work of art.
Himalayan salt lamps are a great addition to your dorm room or apartment. They are inexpensive and can be placed anywhere. After using one for a short time you may just feel a difference in your overall well-being.